* Fancy restaurants
- Quan An Ngon Huge place with a huge menu of Vietnamese cuisine. Ask the waiter to help you pick.Lots of tourists.
- Secret Garden Need to make reservations. Can sometimes be done on same day. Amazing Vietnamese food and creative atmosphere, if you don’t mind a 5 flight hike up the stairs.
- Propaganda Great aesthetics and a variety of eclectic, Vietnamese food. Great place to get a salad or veggie meal. Not great for dinner-- gets loud
- Hoa Tuc Yummy Vietnamese food in an old Opium Den area. They also do a cooking school.
- Hoang Yen Nice food. Many different locations. Ngo Duc Ke location is near the river.
- Noir Dining in the dark. Both Asian and western options.
- Anan Saigon Rooftop Bar and Restaurant. Lovely atmosphere and a great way to introduce people to Saigon!
- *Chopstik- In an old villa once the home of a Southern Vietnamese government official
- *Ly Club Another old villa, private rooms and international menu available as well.
- *Mandarin-- Top rated Vietnamese restaurant. Dignitaries dine here
- Cuc Gach Quan. Also called “The architect” This restaurant achieved some notoriety as an International celebrity hangout, but I highly recommend it for truly amazing Vietnamese food. Big groups are encouraged and welcome. The food is excellent and again, it’s a nice way to introduce people to Saigon.
- Laang in District 2
- 52/3 Tucked away in an alley, this restaurant has a lovely, eclectic menu and will actually do specialty menus for you. What I love about Saigon is risk taking—and this restaurant really represents that! SSIS alum is part owner.
- *Stoker Woodfire Grill. Great happy hour and delicious cocktails.
- B3 Nice Steakhouse with a good selection of craft beer
- *Moo Beef Stakehouse Beautifully decorated. Very romantic. Delicious food. Expensive
- *Namo Tuscan Grill Tomahawk steaks. Pasta as well Expensive
- L’Usine Diverse menu for soups, salads, sandwiches, and breakfast. Great coffee and desserts, too. Two locations--both wonderful.
- The Refinery Great patio and drinks for happy hour. Good place to get a European style dinner. There are about 4 other good outdoor restaurants and happy hours in this little oasis.
- Brotzeit German Bier Bar & Restaurant Good German food and selection of German beers.
- Tomatito Sexy Tapas Bar. Great for small bites. Delicious Sangria.
- Jane’s Bistro Organic international fusion food. D7
- *Shri rooftop restaurant on Centec Tower
- *Quince Hipster restaurant Need a reservation. Food is exquisite and it’s cozy. You can call and reserve this place for a bigger group.
- Le Bordeaux Higher end French restaurant
- *L’Escale by Thierry Drapeau- Michelin star chef. Nice villa in District 2
- *Social Club rooftop of The Hotel des Arts
- *Trois Gourmand located in District 2
- Ciao Bella Small, quaint Italian restaurant with delicious pastas and other Italian dishes.
- Saffron Owned by same owners of Ciao Bella, delicious Mediterranean inspired food
- Namo A great place to get pizza near the Opera House.
- Pizza 4Ps Firewood pizzas with homemade cheese is a specialty. Pastas and salads are quite good, as well. Need to make reservations a day in advance or early the same morning. Many outlets around the city
- Greenhouse Pizza and Wine bar with a cigar room. Nice views of the Crescent area.
- La Forchetta Not fancy but amazing pizza and pasta dishes. D7
- Au Parc Next to Propaganda - good Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- *Romeo and Juliet at ground FL of Reverie Hotel
- La Fiesta Delicious Mexican food, margaritas, and sangria. Owner and staff offer great service.
- Khoi Thom Cute atmosphere with great Mexican cuisine and margaritas. Often accompanied with live music.
- District Federal-Mexican food in Thao Dien- D2
- Soul Burgers Great gourmet burgers and fries.
- Quan Ut Ut A short taxi ride away, but fantastic bbq for those craving a serious meat fix.
- Relish & Sons Another burger place with good milkshakes and craft beer. They even have a vegetarian Pho burger
- Hum Vegetarian Cafe Best vegetarian restaurant in HCMC. Great food for those who eat meat, as well. Might turn you vegetarian. Beautiful atmosphere, as well.
- Kho Thai Delicious variety of Thai food for all palates.
- San Fu Lou Great Chinese restaurant for dim sum
- *Sorae Restaurant and Lounge-for Japanese, great view.
- *Caminu @ Riverpark Residence (Japanese)
- *Lai Chinese @ Takashimaya
- Huyunh Hoa Dubbed the best banh mi in HCMC. Expect to stand in line for 10 minutes or so.
- Pho Le Dubbed best pho in HCMC. Top quality beef and broth.
- Bun Cha Ha Noi Small place. May have to wait 10-20 minutes to get a seat. Worth the wait. Get the bun cha and try the spring rolls, too.
- 5ku Station Excellent atmosphere to have Vietnamese BBQ cooked at your table.
- Ganesh Great naan and Tikka Masalas, are just a few among other great Indian favorites.
- Baba’s Kitchen Another great place to get your curry on.
- i.d. Coffee Fun atmosphere and great coffee.
- Phuc Long A chain that resembles Starbucks. Good milk tea.
- La Rotonde Beautifully decorated with great coffee.
- The Workshop Great hipster place to have coffee.
- Khanhcasa Tea House Great atmosphere and teas for those in need of a cup of tea.
- Fanny’s Ice Cream Good selection of ice cream or indulge with an extravagant sundae.
- Coolabah Awesome Aussie Bar/Restaurant. Nice patio and good food. D7
- Malt South-Below the Greenview apartments. Good cocktails and bar food. Shuffle board and quiz nights.
- Broma Low-key rooftop bar with a nice view and music. Up a few of flights of stairs.
- Phatty’s For watching sports and drinking a few pints. Decent burgers.
- OMG! Larger scale rooftop bar. Great for photos and getting together as a group for drinks.
- Chill Sky Bar Another larger-scale rooftop bar with great cocktails and view.
- The Acoustic Bar Here you can enjoy live ‘rock’ music, Vietnamese style.
- Racharoom Hip Bar with food near Stokers.
- Laylas Hip Bar with food near Sheraton
- Biacraft largest selection of craft beers.
- Saigon Craft- right across the street from school-- who could ask for more. Food available
- Pasteur Street Brewing For tasting one of the best craft beers in Saigon. They are now a contender in the international beer scene.
- Heart of Darkness Brand of craft beer and flagship bar/restaurant. Lots of expats
- Nong Trai Khoai- local and craft beers in a hip atmosphere