SSIS has embarked on a program of recycling paper as a small contribution to improving our environment. We urge everyone to take part in the program but even more importantly to give serious thought about unnecessary use of paper in the first place. There are over 30 printers in the school, many of them networked. These printers are provided as part of our technology.
Please consider the following suggestions:
- Proofread carefully on the monitor before printing
- Print one copy for a final proofread before printing multiple copies
- Make sure you know which printer you have sent the print job to and collect it in a timely manner
- Don’t “resend” a print job that hasn’t printed until you determine the problem.
- Don’t dump large numbers of web pages to a printer just for reading purposes
- Convey the concept of conservation to our students
- Whenever possible, don’t print: go electronic!.
Cost of Printing
Please keep these cost in mind when you decide to print or photocopy. Our costs for both paper and printing are substantial. Anything you can do to help reduce these costs would be much appreciated.
Type of printing Cost per copy ($USD)
- b/w photocopiers .05
- color laser printer (A4) .10
Cost of Printing to the Environment
The above costs can be easily calculated. However there are many hidden costs to the environment. These include logging of trees, manufacturing of paper, and energy for transportation and recycling.